Saturday 24 November 2018

Cockatoo coffee table

My daughter is setting up a house in the mountains. They had gathered most
of the furniture but a good, right size of coffee table eluded them.

I said I would help look. I found a timber one second hand which was cheap,
but needed work.

As it needed sanding back and refinishing, I thought of their color scheme
which was fairly contemporary, with a lot of black and grey. 

A conversation with my daughter mentioning Black Cockatoos nearby inspired
me to paint the top as an artwork, with the subtle addition of Yellow Tailed Black
Cockatoos which I also love.

The base and legs were sprayed black. The top is a variety of greys. The only
colour is spot yellow on the birds.

The composition was challenging, first attempts at a full landscape weren't
successful and painted over. So underneath the paint is the Jamieson Valley and
Govett's Leap.

I painted a stormy sky instead and simplified things. It is far more dramatic this
way and highlights the birds.

It is protected with 3 coats clear lacquer and a glass top.





















No comments:

Post a Comment